Hello! I wasn’t planning on doing two cupcake recipes in a row but these were just too tasty for me to delay posting! Whilst the lime & pistachio cupcakes had quite a light and sophisticated flavour these are all about pure chocolatey boozy indulgence…perfect for the run up to Christmas!
Unfortunately this won’t be a picture heavy post as my camera died when I was photographing them at 11.30 on a Thursday night and I had to take them to work the next morning (couldn’t/shouldn’t eat 12 of these by myself!). So please forgive the lack of photos but hopefully the ones that I did manage to take illustrate just how scrumptious these are!
These went down pretty darn well at work if I may say so myself! I based these on the flavour of a Terry’s Chocolate Orange but decided to give the a grown up spin as I’ll always add alcohol to my baking where possible! These have a dark chocolate sponge with a generous slosh of Cointreau to get that chocolate orange flavour, topped with a Cointreau buttercream and a Terry’s Chocolate Orange piece – yum!
Now I’ve teased you enough…time for the recipe!
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter
- 90g cocoa powder
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 shots of Cointreau
- 200g icing sugar
- 115g unsalted butter
- 1.5 shots of Cointreau
- Orange food colouring (I use Neon Orange Gel Food Colouring from Dr Oetker)
- Terry's Chocolate Orange Minis
- Optional - Dr Oetker Gold Shimmer Spray
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan (180ºC conventional)
- Starting with the sponge mix, cream together the sugar and butter in a bowl. Once the mixture is smooth stir in the eggs.
- Sieve in the cocoa powder and flour and stir until it's all mixed in.
- Add in the Cointreau shots make sure it's mixed through.
- Grab your cupcake tray and fill 12 holes with cases.
- Spoon your mixture evenly into the 12 cases and pop in the oven for 20mins
- Take your cupcakes out the oven and make sure they're cooked through (spike with a knife or cocktail stick and make sure it comes out clean) then leave to cool.
- Icing time! Pop your butter in a bowl and slowly add in the icing sugar stirring constantly. Once all that's combined add the whole tube of food colouring and stir stir stir!
- Add your icing to an icing bag and decorate your cakes (they must be room temp before you do this!)
- Optional step - give each cupcake a spray with the shimmer spray for a golden shine.
- Add a Terry's Chocolate Orange Mini to each cupcake.
- Step back and admire your beautiful cupcakes!